As we become more health-conscious, the demand for low sugar options has been on the rise. Starbucks, known for its vast array of beverages, has recognized this trend and introduced a range of low sugar Starbucks drinks to cater to customers’ preferences.
In this article, we will explore 12 delicious low sugar Starbucks drinks that you must try in 2024. These selections are not only lower in sugar content but also pack a flavorful punch, ensuring that you don’t have to compromise on taste while making healthier choices.
11 Low Sugar Starbucks Drinks of 2024
1. Black coffee (0-5 calories, 0 grams of sugar)
- Black coffee is coffee that has no added sugar, milk, cream, or other flavorings.
- The calorie content of black coffee is very low, ranging from 0 to 5 calories per 8-ounce cup.
- The sugar content of black coffee is zero grams per 8-ounce cup.
The low calorie and sugar content of black coffee makes it a good choice for people who are watching their weight or who have diabetes. Black coffee is also a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect the body against cell damage.
Here are some additional facts about black coffee:
- Black coffee contains about 95 milligrams of caffeine per 8-ounce cup. Caffeine is a stimulant that can help improve alertness and cognitive function.
- Black coffee has been linked to a number of health benefits, including a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- However, black coffee can also have some side effects, such as anxiety, insomnia, and stomach upset.
Overall, black coffee is a low-calorie, low-sugar beverage that has a number of potential health benefits. However, it is important to drink it in moderation and to be aware of its potential side effects
2. Caffè Americano (15 calories, 0 grams of sugar)
A Caffè Americano is a coffee drink made by diluting espresso shots with hot water. It is typically served in a cup the same size as a regular coffee cup. A Caffè Americano has 15 calories and 0 grams of sugar.
The calories in a Caffè Americano come from the espresso shots. Espresso is made by forcing hot water through finely-ground coffee beans. This process extracts the coffee’s flavor and caffeine, but it does not add any calories. The hot water used to dilute the espresso does not add any calories either.
The sugar content in a Caffè Americano is 0 grams because it does not contain any added sugar. Espresso is naturally sweet, so there is no need to add sugar.
If you are looking for a coffee drink that is low in calories and sugar, a Caffè Americano is a good option. It is also a good source of caffeine, providing about 150 milligrams of caffeine per serving.
Here are some other things to keep in mind about the calories and sugar content of a Caffè Americano:
- The calorie and sugar content may vary slightly depending on the size of the drink and the brand of coffee used.
- If you add milk or other flavorings to your Caffè Americano, the calorie and sugar content will increase.
- If you are watching your calorie or sugar intake, it is best to order a Caffè Americano without any added milk or sugar.
3. Cold Brew with Cold Foam (35 calories, 0 grams of sugar)
A Cold Brew with Cold Foam from Starbucks has 35 calories and 0 grams of sugar. This is because the cold brew coffee itself is naturally low in calories and sugar, and the cold foam is made with skim milk and vanilla syrup, which also have very few calories and sugar.
The cold brew coffee is made by steeping coffee grounds in cold water for 12-24 hours. This process results in a coffee that is less acidic and bitter than traditional hot brewed coffee, and it also has a smoother, more mellow flavor. The cold foam is made by blending skim milk and vanilla syrup until it becomes light and frothy.
So, if you’re looking for a coffee drink that is low in calories and sugar, the Cold Brew with Cold Foam from Starbucks is a good option. It’s a delicious and refreshing way to get your caffeine fix without adding a lot of extra calories to your diet.
Here is a breakdown of the nutritional information for a grande (16 oz) Cold Brew with Cold Foam from Starbucks:
- Calories: 35
- Total Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: 105 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0 g
- Sugars: 7 g
- Protein: 2 g
As you can see, the majority of the calories in this drink come from the carbohydrates in the cold foam. However, even though the cold foam has some sugar, it is still a relatively low-sugar drink.
If you’re looking to reduce the calories and sugar in this drink even further, you can ask your barista to make it with less cold foam or to use sugar-free vanilla syrup. You can also try ordering it with almond milk or oat milk instead of skim milk.
4. Iced Passion Tango Tea (45 calories, 0 grams of sugar)
The Iced Passion Tango Tea from Starbucks has 45 calories and 0 grams of sugar in a 16-ounce (473 mL) serving. This is because the tea is made with a blend of hibiscus, lemongrass, and apple, which are all naturally low in calories and sugar. The tea is also sweetened with stevia, a natural sweetener that has zero calories.
Here is a breakdown of the nutritional information for a 16-ounce serving of Iced Passion Tango Tea:
- Calories: 45
- Fat: 0 grams
- Sodium: 10 mg
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Protein: 0 grams
If you are looking for a low-calorie and sugar-free drink, the Iced Passion Tango Tea is a good option. It is also a good source of antioxidants, as hibiscus and lemongrass are both known for their antioxidant properties.
5. Honey Almond Milk Cold Brew (50 calories, 10 grams of sugar)
A Honey Almond Milk Cold Brew from Starbucks has 50 calories and 10 grams of sugar in a grande (16 fl oz) serving. The calories come from the almond milk (30 calories), the honey (10 calories), and the coffee (10 calories). The sugar comes from the honey (10 grams).
The honey almond milk cold brew is a sweetened version of the traditional cold brew coffee. It is made with cold-brewed coffee that is then sweetened with honey and almond milk. The honey adds a touch of sweetness and richness to the coffee, while the almond milk adds a creaminess.
The honey almond milk cold brew is a good option for people who are looking for a coffee drink that is lower in calories and sugar than some other options. However, it is important to note that it still contains some calories and sugar, so it should be enjoyed in moderation.
Here is a table of the nutritional information for a grande Honey Almond Milk Cold Brew from Starbucks:
If you are looking for a lower-calorie and lower-sugar option, you could try ordering the Honey Almond Milk Cold Brew without the honey. This would reduce the calories to 30 and the sugar to 4 grams. You could also try ordering it with less almond milk. This would reduce the calories and sugar, but it would also reduce the creaminess of the drink.
6. Iced Black Tea Lemonade (90 calories, 14 grams of sugar)
An Iced Black Tea Lemonade is a beverage made with black tea, lemonade, and ice. It is typically sweetened with sugar or artificial sweeteners. A 16-ounce serving of Iced Black Tea Lemonade has about 90 calories and 14 grams of sugar.
The calories in Iced Black Tea Lemonade come from the sugar and the tea. Black tea is a naturally low-calorie beverage, but the sugar adds a significant amount of calories. The amount of sugar in Iced Black Tea Lemonade can vary depending on the recipe, but it is typically around 10 grams of sugar per ounce.
The sugar content in Iced Black Tea Lemonade is also high. The American Heart Association recommends that women consume no more than 25 grams of added sugar per day and men consume no more than 36 grams per day. A 16-ounce serving of Iced Black Tea Lemonade contains about half of the recommended daily intake of added sugar for women.
If you are looking for a healthier option, you can make your own Iced Black Tea Lemonade at home and use less sugar. You can also use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.
Here is a recipe for a healthier Iced Black Tea Lemonade at Home:
- 1 cup black tea
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemonade
- 1/4 cup ice
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia extract (optional)
- Brew the black tea according to the package directions.
- Let the tea cool completely.
- Combine the tea, lemonade, ice, and stevia extract (if using) in a pitcher.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe has about 40 calories and 5 grams of sugar per serving. It is a delicious and refreshing way to cool off on a hot day.
7. Skinny Vanilla Latte (100 calories, 10 grams of sugar)
A Skinny Vanilla Latte is a coffee drink made with espresso, sugar-free vanilla syrup, and skim milk. It has 100 calories and 10 grams of sugar.
The espresso is made by forcing hot water through finely-ground coffee beans. It is a concentrated coffee drink that is high in caffeine.
The sugar-free vanilla syrup is a syrup that is sweetened with artificial sweeteners instead of sugar. It adds sweetness to the latte without the calories.
The skim milk is a low-fat milk that has 0.5 grams of fat per cup. It is used to make the latte lighter and less calorie-dense.
Here is a table of the nutritional information for a Skinny Vanilla Latte from Starbucks:
As you can see, the Skinny Vanilla Latte is a relatively low-calorie and low-sugar coffee drink. It is a good option for people who are watching their calorie intake or who are trying to reduce their sugar intake.
However, it is important to note that the nutritional information for a Skinny Vanilla Latte can vary depending on the specific ingredients and preparation method used. It is always best to check the nutritional information for the specific latte that you are ordering.
8. Iced Skinny Mocha (120 calories, 13 grams of sugar)
An Iced Skinny Mocha from Starbucks is a coffee drink made with bittersweet skinny mocha sauce, espresso, and non-fat milk. It is served over ice and topped with foam.
A grande (16-ounce) Iced Skinny Mocha has 120 calories, 13 grams of sugar, 1.5 grams of fat, and 18 grams of carbohydrates. The sugar comes from the skinny mocha sauce, which is made with sugar, cocoa, and corn syrup.
The Iced Skinny Mocha is a lower-calorie and lower-sugar option than a regular Iced Mocha, which has 240 calories, 29 grams of sugar, 4.5 grams of fat, and 36 grams of carbohydrates.
Here is a more detailed breakdown of the nutritional information for a grande Iced Skinny Mocha:
- Calories: 120
- Total fat: 1.5 grams
- Saturated fat: 0 grams
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
- Sodium: 100 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 18 grams
- Sugar: 13 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
If you are looking for a lower-calorie and lower-sugar coffee drink, the Iced Skinny Mocha is a good option. However, it is important to note that it still contains sugar and calories, so it should be enjoyed in moderation.
9. Violet Drink (110 calories, 22 grams of sugar)
The Violet Drink from Starbucks is a blended beverage made with Very Berry Hibiscus Starbucks Refreshers, coconut milk, and ice. It has 110 calories and 22 grams of sugar in a grande (16-ounce) serving.
The Very Berry Hibiscus Starbucks Refreshers is a non-caffeinated beverage made with blackberries, hibiscus, and lemongrass. It has 10 calories and 5 grams of sugar in a grande serving. The coconut milk adds 40 calories and 12 grams of sugar to the Violet Drink.
The sugar content in the Violet Drink is comparable to other Starbucks Refreshers, such as the Mango Dragonfruit Refresher (22 grams of sugar) and the Strawberry Acai Refresher (21 grams of sugar). However, it is higher than the sugar content in some other Starbucks drinks, such as the Iced Passion Tango Tea (13 grams of sugar) and the Iced Green Tea Lemonade (11 grams of sugar).
If you are watching your sugar intake, you may want to order the Violet Drink without the coconut milk, or ask for a smaller size. You can also try adding sugar-free syrups or flavors to the drink.
Here is a table of the nutritional information for the Violet Drink:
10. Nitro Cold Brew with Sweet Cream (70 calories, 15 grams of sugar)
A Nitro Cold Brew with Sweet Cream from Starbucks has 70 calories and 15 grams of sugar in a grande (16 fl oz) serving. The cold brew itself has 5 calories and 0 grams of sugar, but the sweet cream adds 65 calories and 15 grams of sugar.
The sweet cream is made with cream, milk, and vanilla syrup. The syrup is the main source of sugar in the drink.
If you are looking for a lower-calorie and lower-sugar option, you can order the Nitro Cold Brew without the sweet cream. You can also ask for less sweet cream, or for the sweet cream to be made with less syrup.
Here is a table of the nutritional information for a Nitro Cold Brew with Sweet Cream from Starbucks:
It is important to note that the nutritional information may vary depending on the size of the drink and the specific ingredients used.
11. Iced Blonde Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Latte (120 calories, 13 grams of sugar)
The Iced Blonde Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Latte from Starbucks has 120 calories and 13 grams of sugar in a grande (16 fl oz) serving. The calories come from the milk, espresso, and vanilla syrup. The sugar comes from the vanilla syrup and the coconut milk.
Here is a breakdown of the calories and sugar in a grande Iced Blonde Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Latte:
- Milk: 70 calories, 6 grams of sugar
- Espresso: 15 calories, 0 grams of sugar
- Vanilla syrup: 25 calories, 10 grams of sugar
- Coconut milk: 10 calories, 3 grams of sugar
If you are watching your calories or sugar intake, you may want to choose a different drink. Some lower-calorie options at Starbucks include the Iced Blonde Coffee with Almondmilk (60 calories, 4 grams of sugar) or the Iced Passion Tango Tea (60 calories, 0 grams of sugar).
10 Cinnamon Starbucks Drinks of 2024 (Which One Should You Use?)
What Starbucks Add-Ins are Low Sugar?
- Sugar-free syrups: Starbucks offers two sugar-free syrup flavors: sugar-free vanilla syrup and sugar-free cinnamon dolce syrup. Each pump of sugar-free syrup contains 0 calories and 0 grams of sugar.
- Nonfat milk or skim milk: These milks are lower in calories and sugar than whole milk. A tall (12-ounce) serving of nonfat milk has 80 calories and 1 gram of sugar, while a tall serving of skim milk has 90 calories and 0 grams of sugar.
- Plant-based milks: Starbucks offers a variety of plant-based milks, including almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, and soy milk. These milks are all lower in calories and sugar than whole milk. A tall (12-ounce) serving of almond milk has 60 calories and 2 grams of sugar, while a tall serving of coconut milk has 130 calories and 4 grams of sugar.
- Stevia or monk fruit: These are natural sweeteners that are zero calories and zero grams of sugar. You can ask your barista to add stevia or monk fruit to your drink instead of sugar.
Tips for Low-Calorie Drinks or a Sugar-Free Option
Here are some tips for choosing low-calorie or sugar-free drinks:
- Water: Water is the best choice for a calorie-free and sugar-free drink. It’s also hydrating and can help you feel full.
- Unsweetened tea and coffee: Tea and coffee are naturally low in calories and sugar. You can enjoy them plain or with a small amount of milk or sugar-free sweetener.
- Sparkling water: Sparkling water is a type of carbonated water that is naturally calorie-free and sugar-free. It can be a refreshing alternative to soda.
- Fruit-infused water: Fruit-infused water is a great way to add flavor to water without adding sugar. Simply cut up some fresh fruit and let it steep in water for a few hours.
- Herbal tea: Herbal tea is a type of tea that is made from herbs and spices. It is naturally low in calories and sugar, and it can have a variety of health benefits.
- Low-fat or fat-free milk: Milk is a good source of calcium and protein, but it can be high in calories. Choose low-fat or fat-free milk to reduce the calorie content.
- Vegetable juice: Vegetable juice is a good source of vitamins and minerals, but it can also be high in sugar. Choose vegetable juices that are low in sugar or that are made with 100% juice.
- Kombucha: Kombucha is a fermented tea that has a slightly sweet taste. It is naturally low in calories and sugar, and it has been shown to have some health benefits.
If you are looking for a sugar-free option, you can also choose drinks that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. However, it is important to note that artificial sweeteners have been linked to some health concerns, so it is best to consume them in moderation.
In conclusion, low sugar Starbucks drinks make a great choice for those looking to cut down on sugary beverages. Not only are these options tasty and delicious, but they also offer many health benefits such as improved energy levels, better digestion, reduced risk of diabetes, and weight loss.
They can also be enjoyed guilt-free because they have less sugar and calories than regular coffee drinks. Be sure to read the label so that you know exactly what your drink contains and how much sugar is in it. You should consider one of these Low Sugar Starbucks Drinks as a replacement for the high-sugar favorites that you go for!
Besides offering a healthier alternative, you get to enjoy all the unique flavors of coffee such Starbucks has to offer – no matter what type of drink you choose. So start experimenting, find your favorite mix – or just go for an unsweetened iced latte – and enjoy!
Q: Are there any drink options without caffeine?
A: Yes! Starbucks offers a range of decaffeinated beverages including decaf Americano and hot tea, and herbal tea infusions. If you’re looking for something cold, an Iced Decaf Tea or Herbal Tea Infusion make the perfect choice.
Q: What is the best drink to order if I am avoiding sugar?
A: If you’re trying to avoid sugar, one of the best options is an Unsweetened Iced Tea. It has zero calories and no added sugars. You can also try almond milk or coconut milk as a non-dairy alternative. If you’re looking for something with some sweetness, opt for a Stevia sweetened Iced Tea.
Q: Are there any dairy free options?
A: Yes! Starbucks offers several dairy free options including Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, and Soy Milk. To find out which drinks are available with these alternatives, just check the menu board for your local store. You can also order your favorite drink and ask for it to be made with your preferred dairy free option.
Q: Is there a low calorie Frappuccino?
A: Yes! Starbucks offers several lighter versions of its classic Frappuccino. The Light Mocha and Light Caramel Frappuccinos have fewer calories than the original versions, as they are made with nonfat milk and sugar-free syrup. These drinks also contain more protein and less fat than the regular Frappuccinos.
Q: Are there any sugar free syrups?
A: Yes, Starbucks offers a variety of sugar free syrups, including vanilla, cinnamon dolce, mocha, caramel, white chocolate and raspberry. These sugar free syrups can be added to your favorite Starbucks drinks and can help to reduce the overall sugar content of your order.
Q: Are there any protein-packed options?
A: Yes, Starbucks offers a range of protein-rich drink options such as its Protein Blended Cold Brew and Protein Shaken Iced Espresso. These drinks are blended with plant-based proteins that provide an extra boost of energy and nutrition. You can also add protein powder to your favorite iced or blended beverage for an even bigger protein boost.
I’m Kara Chavez, and I love coffee. I like to create some of the best coffees around – espressos, lattes, macchiatos – you name it. I strive for perfection in my coffee-making skills, and I take great pride in providing a delicious cup of joe to my customers.
I’ve been working in the coffee industry for years now, and I know everything there is to know about making a perfect cup of coffee. My passion for coffee shines through in every cup that I make, and I hope that you’ll stop by soon so that I can share my love of coffee with you!